Suwanee: Top 5 Places to Go for Families
The Gwinnett Family Top 5 List for Suwanee
This is the second edition of “Top 5 for Families” and features Suwanee. Make sure to check out the first edition, Top 5 for Families in Sugar Hill as well. In no particular order, here are the Top 5 in Suwanee including a couple bonus entries worth checking out!
Town Center Park – 330 Town Center Ave.
- A visit to Suwanee’s “front yard” and primary gathering place is a must-do while visiting this city.
- Farmer’s Markets
- Winter (November – April) Second Saturday of the month at 9 am – 11 am
- Summer (May – October) Saturdays at 8 am – noon
- Food Truck Friday which occurs monthly in April, May, June, August and September. It starts at 5:30 pm and music starts at 7 pm. I recommend arriving early as this draws a very large crowd!
- Suwanee Fest is held on the third weekend of September and features about 100 arts and craft vendors, food, parade, entertainment, and activities for children.
- And so much more, check out their event list!
- Farmer’s Markets
- There are plenty of family friendly restaurants at Town Center Park such as Ippolito’s, Mellow Mushroom, Brown Bag Deli & Cafe, Suwanee, Rita’s Italian Ice (our favorite!) and more. Rita’s Suwanee is open seasonally, usually mid February – October.
- To make this place even more awesome, there is a FREE Big Splash Water Fountain to cool off in the summer heat! This is one of Gwinnett’s largest interactive fountains which has 43 jets and uses 1,400 gallons of water per minute! The fountain is open (weather permitting) April 1 – October 31 from 9:30 am – 9:30 pm. Come early so you can grab a seat in the shade!
Suwanee Creek Greenway – 1170 Buford Hwy. (Trailhead and Suwanee Creek Park)
- If your family loves being outdoors, this is the place to go! The Suwanee Creek Greenway is a 4 mile long, hard surface trail that meanders through woods, wet lands and wildlife habitat. Take a walk, go jogging or ride your bike! You can check out the trail map before you go.
- Here are the other access points in Suwanee:
- near the Suwanee Sports Academy at 3640 Burnette Road
- Martin Farm Park, about a half-mile west of Satellite Boulevard
- Town Center area, via Portland Drive and the wooden boardwalk/bridge that runs parallel to Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road
- Suwanee Elementary School, on weekends and after 4 pm only during the week
- George Pierce Park, near the soccer and back softball fields
Sims Lake Park – 4600 Suwanee Dam Rd.
- A popular park with 62 acres that includes a 7 acre lake and a 1.2 mile looping paved trail. The playground is right off the parking lot past the covered picnic tables. The larger and smaller playgrounds have a shade structure which makes it a little bit cooler in the summer.
Sky Zone Suwanee – 560 Old Peachtree Rd. NW Ste 300
- Indoor Trampoline Park that offers free style jump, skyslam (basketball hoop), dodgeball, and foam zone. Programs offered are Toddler Time (2nd and 4th Wednesdays for $5/hr), Sky Fitness, and Home School Jump Time. Parties and Group Events can also be booked here.
Movie Tavern – 2855 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd.
- Here you can enjoy a movie plus a meal at the same time. Servers take your order before showtime and bring your food to you with minimal interruption. If you need a refill or anything else, push the button at your chair and your server will come assist you.
- If you like free offers, sign up for their email list and get a free movie ticket on your birthday!
Playtown Suwanee – 425 Main St.
- A very unique playground that was built by 1,200 volunteers in 5 days! Features include swings, a castle, log cabin, boat, rocket, climbing wall, bridges, slides and more.
Settles Bridge Park – 380 Johnson Rd.
- A county park that is usually not crowded with 268 acres and very close to Sugar Hill. The playground area is completely paved all the way around and the larger and smaller play structures have shade coverings. Additional features include a skate complex, outdoor basketball, 1.6 mile paved trail, 2.9 non-paved trail, dog park area and more.
What do you love about Suwanee? Is there anything you love that is not on this list? Let me know in the comments below!